The BEST natural cleaning products for a green clean home!
I have been on my natural/holistic journey for a while. For nearly 10 years I have sought out alternatives to harmful chemicals that I would have brought into my home. And I get so many questions from friends and family members about the best natural cleaning products, so I figured I should make a list.
While I don’t make a lot of DIY cleaning products, I do make some. It is bound to save you money while still being effective for naturally cleaning your home. In order to make my own products I generally keep a small list of items at my house at all times, just in case.
DIY natural cleaning product supplies:
- Baking soda can be used for anything from laundry to cleaning window tracks. I always have a big bag on hand.
- I use essential oils or my family’s and my own health. But did you know that you can use them for cleaning too? Essential oils smell lovely and you just may walk away from dusting your furniture with citrus oil feeling a bit more spry! Use Purify, Lavender, or any other essential oil in a spray bottle with water instead of air freshener. Mix Purify, On Guard, or Lemon in vinegar water for an all purpose cleaner.
- Vinegar is another on that I use for just about any type of cleaning or disinfecting around the house.
- I use super washing soda mostly for DIY laundry detergent, but it can be used to make dishwasher powder too.
- Dr. Bronner’s castile soap has so many uses from detergent to hand soap and is very cheap for how many products that you can make from one bottle.
Don’t really want to make your own cleaning agents? I get it. It can be intimidating at first, but in time you will feel more confident in this.
Green Clean products for the laundry:
- Using wool dryer balls instead of laundry softener has been a life changer for me! Did you know that dryer sheets are some of the MOST toxic items in your home? That fact aside, they are not very cheap especially compared to the once every 3-4 year cost of wool dryer balls.
- Baking soda acts as a softener too! I use about 1 cup in every load of laundry. It actually helps rid funky smells, just as an added bonus.
- Place 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil in the rinse compartment or softener ball with a bit of water to help your laundry smell fresh instead of using dryer sheets.
- Kirkland Signature brand laundry detergent (Costco membership required) is a good option for store bought detergent, but seriously, I believe the homemade detergent below is just as good (if not better).
- I recently started making my own laundry detergent because I wanted to save a bit more money. One thing I learned is that I am in the borax-free group of laundry detergent DIYers. This recipe is great, borax free, and you can add whatever essential oils you would like for your scent. It is also a super easy DIY natural cleaning product. It will take you about 10 minutes to make…that is less time than it takes to go to the store to buy detergent!
The best natural cleaning products for the bathroom:
- Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes are really amazing for a quick clean up of the toilets. Usually I am against all things antibacterial. Too much research shows that it is actually not healthy for us and is causing issues with super bugs. I make an excuse for toilets though:)
- Seventh Generation toilet cleaner works great, but really, so does the Method mint toilet bowl cleaner.
- I use the all purpose spray by Seventh Generation which can be used for any surface without leaving an overpowering odor.
- Bon Ami non scratch powder scrub really is the perfect alternative to a soft scrub and it is super cheap!
- Mrs. Meyer’s powder scrub is another good non- toxic cleaning product for the bathroom. You can use either this or the Bon Ami in the shower, for the sinks, for grout lines, mildew, or any other mess.
- I use a mix of 50/50 water and white vinegar with a few drops of dish soap for my glass and mirrors. It leaves it streak free and works like a charm! Although, lately, I have been using Norwex cloths and I am in LOVE! Just water and a cloth to wipe up mirrors and windows (streak free) quickly.
Non-toxic cleaning products for the kitchen
- Mrs. Meyer’s dish soap is a must for doing the dishes! They are scented with essential oils so they smell extra good:).
- Listen, I am not one of those people that disinfects my counters and sinks every day or ever for that matter! If I cut chicken, I clean it up with soap and water. It works just fine. Wash cloths are a necessity in the kitchen. Get some and clean your counters with soap and water.
- Seventh Generation dishwasher liquid works really well, but their dishwasher tabs…not so much:(
- Method dishwasher tabs work much better than SG’s tabs…sorry SG.
- Bar Keepers Friend is a great natural cleaning product for sparkling pots.
- I will be making my own dishwasher powder as soon as I run out of my current cleaners. This recipe sounded perfect for what I wanted out of a cleaner so I will be trying it out.
General green cleaning products:
- Mrs. Meyer’s hand soap smells DIVINE! These are also scented with essential oils to make your hands smell invigoratingly clean. I love these aromas!
- I also pretty much love dōTERRA’s OnGuard line of cleaning agents. They smell amazing!
- Mrs. Meyer’s multi surface cleaner concentrate is a great all purpose natural cleaner. I use this for my floors, window frames (to clean out the dirt), cleaning the inside of my car, you name it!
Remember, when you are making the switch to natural cleaners that they may not be AS effective as harsh chemicals. You may have to actually scrub. I know, I know. But, you will be able to breath as you clean. AND (the best part) you can allow your kids to help you get stuff on your cleaning plan done too! It is brilliant!
Edited to add: I am now using a lot of Norwex products. The cost is more upfront, but I don’t have to buy a lot of cleaners now. Host an event with a consultant to earn free product. I received over $200 in free product for hosting. Contact Mary Rose for help with an amazing in home or FB event.
I hope you like this list. If you have any questions, let me know. What is your favorite natural cleaner or cleaner recipe?