17 Dinner in the car ideas that your family will love to grab and go!
If you have kids or a job or like to go on road trips, then eating on the go is just a fact of life. Resorting to fast food options are both bad for your budget and not so good for your health. With just a little bit of meal planning ahead of time, you can enjoy these dinner in the car ideas and your whole family is bound to love them!
Life with a preschooler means I am on go quite frequently. Between fun weekend activities and normal errands during the week, sometimes we need to have a packed lunch or dinner so that we don’t fall into the eating out trap. When I am meal planning and creating my grocery list, it is really helpful to add a few things that are good for making a packed meal.
- Simple Meal Planning for Busy Moms
- How to Save Money on Groceries
- Working Moms Daily Schedule for an Intentional Life
Healthy meals on the go
Eating healthy is almost impossible if you are on the road. Healthy meals are not generally seen to be as portable as their unhealthy counterparts and do take some actual prep (I know, I know). But seriously, with just a few minutes of planning and a few more minutes of preparation and your whole family can eat healthy meals on the go!
List of healthy, no heat meals for road trips
- I am a true fan of shakes for meals. Not your shake in a can, but the shakes made from real foods blended up at home. And who says it can’t taste like dessert? Try this Chocolate Chai shake from Paleo OMG for a nutritious and balanced meal in a cup!
- Speaking of dinner in a cup, eating dinner at the kids’ sports events can be incredibly easy (and tasty) with this Italian Ham Pasta Salad from We’re Parents.
- Another dinner in a cup, healthy meal option would be a Chopped Salad like that from 247 Low Carb Diner. You can absolutely use other ingredients to make this your own!
- A Harvest Salad from Bitz n Giggles is absolutely delicious, easy to throw together and this is one the kids will surely love!
- If you are tired of sandwiches, but need something just as handy (haha, get it), try out these Easy Turkey Pinwheels from Project Meal Plan.
- Another great, make ahead option would be Veggie Rainbow Rice Paper Rolls by Delicious Table. I love how full of veggies these are AND I have a love of all Asian inspired food so they are perfect!
- There is so much potential for variety when packing a healthy dinner for on the go. Check out these Adult Lunch Box Ideas from Bless this Mess Please. I definitely think the kids would love most of these too!
- This one may just be my favorite idea for healthy meals on the go! They are clean and hearty enough for dinner.
Kid friendly portable meals (i.e. less mess and fun to eat!)
What kid likes to eat salad? Furthermore, what kid can eat a salad while on the go and stay relatively mess free? Yeah, right. Have no fear though, there are plenty of options for portable meals for kids!
- Does your kiddo like to eat breakfast for dinner just as much as mine does? Kinda funny, right? These Mini Frittatas are portable, pretty mess free and healthy!
- I know I am not the only one that use to eat Hot Pockets for snacks and dinners, right? But have you looked at the ingredients on those things? Yuck! Try making your own Lunchbox Empanadas with Ham and Cheese that are very similar to Hot Pockets, only BETTER!
- A kid favorite packed and ready for an easy dinner in the car? Yes, please! Pizza muffins are just the solution.
- Sandwich kabobs take your sandwich making to a whole different level! These kabobs for kids are mess free, fun, and completely portable.
- Of course, lets not forget the simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It may sound boring to you, but kids love them.
Hearty meals on the go!
- I don’t know about you, but I like to have a good, well rounded, hearty meal even if it is a grab and go dinner. That is what I love about these meals. They are hearty enough to keep you full, but easy enough to take with you while you are busy corralling toddlers at the park.
- These mason Jar Burrito Bowls from Gimme Delicious are quick meals that you can make ahead of time, and serve cold, or warm.
- Kinda on the same theme is the Taco Salad in a jar…yum!
- Frozen burritos is actually something that I make about once a month. They are quick to reheat and you can add anything to them for a quick dinner at home or on the go. These burritos from Over the Apple Tree look easy enough for a quick meal.
- I haven’t tried a freezer burrito with different “toppings” like corn and quinoa like these burritos from Iowa Girl Eats. These look delicious and would be perfectly acceptable to take with you in the car.
There you have it! 17 easy dinner in the car ideas for you to plan for and prepare for your next road trip or sports event! Meal planning is an important part of this process. Don’t forget to grab your easy meal planning printables to help you get started with meal planning so you can save time, save money, and save some dinner time sanity!